Friday, May 25, 2012

Farewell Napoli!

For our last day in Naples, Nate and I decided to go back downtown. Our goal was to have one last Neapolitan pizza at the famous Sorbillo's, to walk around a bit more, and for me to pick up my final cookbook (I picked one up from each region we visited). In the end, we had a bit of a detour (in a good way), but we left Naples knowing we had experienced a lot of what the town has to offer.

Lunch at the famous Sorbillo's did not disappoint. My final (DELICIOUS) Neapolitan pizza... We are yet to even want to try American pizza again:

The detour I spoke of earlier all started with this view from the car window on our way home from downtown; Mount Vesuvius was clearer than we had ever seen. It was an omen!

We turned the car around and FINALLY attacked Vesuvius, something we had previously chalked up as a loss. The walk up wasn't too long (there were even tourists opting to go it in heels... to each his own, I guess). Nate and Lando heading to the top:

Looking inside the crater. Some people (ahem... Erin) may think there is lava at the top, but there's not. Only dirt and a little smoke:

A view of Naples:

Nate and Lando checking out the view overlooking Sorrento:

Our farewell to Naples... from the top:


Later that night we had dinner at our resort with our Italian friends, old and new. Such a great group of people. And, no, they all don't naturally have possessed-looking eyes... I only had my iPhone for the whole day and the flash is a bit aggressive:

After dinner we said our goodbyes and went to bed as early as possible knowing we had an early wake up and long day of travel ahead of us.  Landon at the airport (before the sun) with our light luggage ;)

I don't even know how to sum up our three month stay in Naples. Italy continues to be one of my favorite countries in the world. We feel very lucky to have been able to experience everything we did and really feel good about our no-rest-for-the-weary approach.  That said, we came home looking forward to a weekend of sitting :)

No comments: